airpop® waste is a valuable resource.
It is recycable many times without deterioration and can be re-used in a large variety of applications. As such, airpop® helps us to protect our climate.
The common ways of recovery are mechanical recycling as PS and EPS as well as energy recovery. The mechanical recycling process usually starts with the grinding of the airpop® waste. After that, there are several alternatives for further valorizing of the grinded waste:
Recycling as airpop®
The waste material can be used for new airpop® applications.
Most common are
- the use of grinded airpop® material for a variety of applications,
- the production of insulation construction materials (building blocks, cement),
- the use as ground improvement (drainage, substrate for plants).
Recycling as PS
Recycling as PS means to compact or to melt the grinded airpop® (EPS) and changing it into compact granules (PS) - this material can be
- processed into injection moulding (utensils) or extrusion products,
- or it can be used (after extrusion and degassing) to produce airpop® once again for the classic EPS applications (packaging, insulation etc.).
Did you know? Incineration and Energy Recovery
Incineration is a waste treatment process that includes the combustion of organic substances contained in the waste materials. Non-toxic ashes remain after the process. Recovering airpop® energetically for heating purposes helps to save fossil resources: 1 kg of incinerated airpop® replaces 1,3 liters heating fuel.